Saturday, April 4, 2009

Boy Meets Boy

So I know I read it a little early, but I had some time so I read Boy Meets Boy. Probably one of my favorite books. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't put it down. Although I couldn't relate to Paul in terms of his sexuality I felt very connected to his and many of the other character's reactions to different things. I wanted to highlight a few of the more poignant passages in my mind:

"But I want to feel like life matters. I had something real with you, but then the realness scared me. I decided to go for other things instead." (103)

"Sometimes the space between knowing what to do and actually doing it is a very short walk. Other times it is an impossible expanse." (114)

"How could I possibly explain that he's the one my heart is made for? That's how it feels- he's the one my heart was made for." (136)

I don't care who you are, gay, straight, black, white, those feelings are raw. Relatable. I love reading books that transcend their characters. I was so caught up in the depth and romance of the novel that I never thought twice about the question of homo/hetero sexuality. Love is love, and I felt it while reading this book.

2 comments:

  1. Lyndsay,
    Your last paragraph took the words right out of my mouth. I was putting myself into Paul's feelings and emotions, never thinking "I can't relate because of my own sexuality." Like you said, the emotions in this book are raw. I'm glad someone else was just as into this book as I was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post a while back before I read the book and it made me interested to see how I would react to the book. Well I cannot agree with you more. I totally lost myself in the love and didn't think about the fact that most of the love stories in the book consisted of two guys. I was really feeling it and last night I just sat there for an hour and read the second half of the book because I became so invested in Paul and Noah's relationship!!

    ReplyDelete