Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Poem

So I was reading through some of my classmates' blogs and I saw that some of them had posted their autobiographical poems from last week's class. As I mentioned in my first post I was disappointed that I had not read my own during class so I am going to post mine as well!

In addition I realized that I never explained why I even have this blog or who I am.....My name is Lyndsay and I am a senior (!) at Michigan State University. I am an elementary special education major with concentrations in language arts and learning disabilities. Eventually I would like to get endorsements in autism and possibly emotional impairments. I have created this blog for a multicultural children's literature course that I am taking this semester and I hope you all enjoy!

Here's my poem:

"A Sense of Life"

I was

Seeing new cities
and making new houses
homes

Hearing crickets at night
as the summer air
foams

Feeling blades of grass
between my
toes

Smelling lilacs in the yard
deep within my
nose

Tasting the season
with stains on pressed white
clothes

Childhood passes
with both
highs
and
lows

And that’s the way life goes.

I am

Seeing this city
for how long?
God only
knows.

Hearing these lines rhyme
wishing they were
prose

Feeling the pressure and yet
rolling with the
blows

Smelling sweet satisfaction
more pungent than a
rose

Tasting this season
as the cold air
froze

This time passes
with both
highs
and
lows

And that’s the way life goes.

I will

See my bags packed once I
pay off these
loans

Hear voices of loved
ones over the
phone

Feel free and independent,
but strangely
alone

Smell home cooked meals
doing it all on my
own

Taste this season
bitter, sweet, and sour,
and know that I’ve
grown

Time passes
with both
highs
and
lows

And that’s the way life goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment