Monday, March 2, 2009

Al Capone

I finished reading Al Capone Does My Shirts over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. As a special education major, and person in general, it was refreshing to read a piece of young adult literature that incorporates issues of disability- as I have not come across very many. I took a particular interest in this novel because I eventually want to specialize in autism. When attempting to write my questioning the text paper I sat down at my computer and realized that there were a plethora of different angles at which I could approach the book. I eventually settled on discussing how much of the "caretaker" responsibility should be placed in the hands of a child who has a sibling with a disability. Aside from enjoying the plot line and incorporation of autism I really do appreciate that Choldenko authored a book that is so genuinely thought provoking. I could see myself using this book as a tool to teach children in a general education classroom about autism.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I also want to specialize in Autism as a future special educator. I hadn't really thought about using this book as a way to teach a general education classroom about autism, but that is a great idea! I loved this book and I thought that Choldenko did a fabulous job portraying the progress that can be made (with appropriate help) by a person who has autism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same topic.. do great minds think alike or what?! :)

    ReplyDelete